Wednesday 19 October 2011

To Anonymous

October 19, 2011

I just received a comment from a regular reader (Anonymous) who was upset at my recent negative posts about Canada.  After some serious reflection, I decided to write them a response.  Halfway through, I realized that it was more important to share these thoughts and pseudo-justifications with the larger audience, because I'm sire many are beginning to question whether they should continue to read this blog.  In fact, my uncle wrote me privately to say I was being overly harsh and should tone it down.  And I agree.  Anonymous' comment to me can be found in the "Let's Talk Aboot The Anger" post (for reference), and they bring up some good points.  Here, then is what I have to say in response:

Dear Anonymous,

First off, let me honestly and sincerely congratulate you on your patriotism.  No, I really do mean that.  One of the things that impressed me when we first got up here was how nearly every single person, including pets, sported the red, white and maple leaf on Canada Day.  And I applaud you sticking up for your home and native land.  I respect your sense of honor.  Maybe because, as an American, I'm used to hearing my country get bashed and insulted, when it happens to America,  it doesn't bother me as much.  But I want to be clear on a couple of things.

Go back and read the earlier entries again.  You will see a happy determination to assimilate and become as Canadian as possible.  I didn't come here with comparisons in mind, hoping it would be like the US - I wanted it to be as different as possible.  The problem, therein, is that it is too similar, and so that the small differences stand out more, making it easier to be homesick.  I have traveled the world, and I spent a great deal of time in the Soviet Union, Finland, and numerous -stans in south central Asia.  I scream at the television when I see ugly Americans act like barbarians abroad.  And I cringe when our elected leaders preach about imposing the "American Way" on the world.  So I came to Canada very excited about a new adventure and with an extremely open mind.  If anything, I had become frustrated with my home country and one of my 1st thoughts about moving to Canada was the prospect of becoming a citizen.

I have also stated that my views are based on living in an insular community with a lack of diversity, both in age and ethnicity.  In fact, after a study was published recently that stated that Kelowna and the Okanagan Valley is the oldest and whitest community in all of Canada, a debate has raged in the local paper as to whether or not this is a good or bad thing.  A huge majority of those writing in to the paper want to keep it just like it is.  There is a large evangelical presence here as well, making this an uncomfortable place for non-white protestants to live.  I have heard many anecdotal stories from my wife's co-workers and my property manager to back that up.  Kelowna is also known as one of the most expensive cities to live in in Canada.  The gas here is the highest in the nation.  But it should also be noted that we came from a state with one of the lowest costs of living in the US, so the jump in prices has been overwhelming.

As for our "mansion", we have lived in nothing but small rental apartments or row houses for the last ten years.  We have both worked our asses off to make things better for ourselves.  We are not from money nor have we ever had money.  But a better job for my wife, with a great company, is what brought us here.  And with that job came a much bigger and higher position that, yes, brought us a larger income, but also created a situation where she is the only provider as my visa does not allow me to work or earn money of any kind.  Our house is big, yes, but it hardly qualifies as a mansion.  We chose this spot after negotiating the rent down almost by a third - yes, we rent, and have always rented, never achieving the "American Dream of home ownership" - and because we needed a space that belied Lisa's position should she host events for work.  Plus, remember, I am disabled, sick, stuck in the house most of the time, and for once, just once, we had the opportunity to have a nice place to live, and we took it.  Does it look unfair on the surface, after bitching about prices, taxes, fees, and other costs of living?  Sure. But it's not the whole story, and every family, no matter where they live or what their income always hopes to have things just a little more affordable.  We have gone to hell and back with my illness, have lived in places where we could see through the walls (even through the floor to the neighbor downstairs), so let it be known that we worked HARD to get where we are, fought for it, and EARNED it.  This house isn't even ours - it's temporary.  At some point, we will have to move again, and will most likely rent again.

I will admit, these last few posts have gone overboard with the negativity.  I'm sure many might agree that these were written in the heat of a down moment.  We are simply frustrated - frustrated that Kelowna seems to be a pocket of largesse in an otherwise moderate nation.  To call Canada a Third World Country was, in fact, unfair, and for that, I apologize.  I've said it before and I'll say it again:  I know if we had moved to Vancouver instead of Kelowna, we'd have a completely different perspective and attitude towards Canada as a whole.  And my disappointment largely comes from wanting to like Canada SOOOO badly.  On a map, Kelowna looks much closer to Vancouver than it is, and I guess I thought weekend trips to the big city would be there for the taking.  We also knew that living in a smaller town meant that we might be using the internet more than before to order things that a smaller town might not carry, so when that option has been minimized, it has taken us by surprise and left us slightly befuddled.  It's not that we are mad mass consumers who want to bring America to Canada, but we simply want access to those things that are not available here, and we figured that internet ordering and shopping would be the alternative.  We are willing to pay the import duties, we get that.  But when sites send you to a Canadian version to order from (yay!), many of those sites do not carry the items you intended to order, creating a frustrating situation b/c you just saw it on the American version of the site, so why can't it be on the Canadian site, too?  It just makes us feel more isolated.

I realize my mind has been growing more and more closed.  The negativity has been slightly over the top.  And I am unjustified in judging the whole nation of Canada based on my experiences here in Kelowna.  Let's leave it at Kelowna not being a good fit for us.  But we do live here now, and we need to make the most of it.  I'll admit I haven't gotten out to explore the area as much as I should.  The intent of this blog in the first place was simply a place to share my "adventures" here, and I haven't been taking many adventures at all.  But now that my favorite season is here, the weather is more accommodating, and the traffic is only half as insane now that the Albertans have gone home, I will try and take a day trip once a week if possible, check out new trails, towns, shops, and whatever else I can find.  And I will try and keep it positive.  This was supposed to be a "fun" blog, an entertaining blog. 

Stick with me, Anonymous.  I'm sorry if I insulted you, your patriotism, and your native Canada.  I'll give it another shot




.

4 comments:

  1. Leaving aside any disputes about the accuracy of your observations, just one quick note.

    You seem to have a tendency to interpret the responses that take issue with what you're saying as "patriotism" or "sticking up for Canada". You did it here, and you did it in our conversation as well. It struck me as a little strange to be honest... it's probably something Americans are more inclined to do than a lot of other people. Speaking for myself, nothing I was saying had the first thing to do with "sticking up for Canada" or being patriotic, it was entirely about simply addressing what I saw as some factual inaccuracies in your statements. I'm not at all interested in displays of patriotic fervor, I am interested in health care policy.

    I don't feel any particular need to stick up for Canada, I don't really place any particular value on the need for the country I happened to be born in to be #1 all the time (except in Hockey, there is after all a certain order to the universe that must be maintained). And it is certainly far, far away from being #1 in health care, which was the topic of our discussion before it was terminated.

    (Also, just to be clear, I was also flabbergasted that you were apparently reading our exchange as being "heated".)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those comments were directed at Anonymous b/c the comments left by Anonymous made allusions specifically to notions of patriotism.

    As for our "heated" exchange, that adjective was not meant to be taken in a negative context, but rather as "intense" - again, not negative. Serious may be more like it.

    I feel like I am coming under fire for my criticisms of Canada - based on my own experiences - that I am considering suspending or ending this blog. It's ironic that those who take issue with my perceived "intolerance" are themselves intolerant of criticism of Canada. This was supposed to be a fun chronicle about an exciting move to a foreign country. Instead, it has become a forum for Canadian patriotism. Yes, I use that word again b/c it seems to all come back to either a love or frustration with Canada. I'm frustrated here - plain and simple. My experience at the doctor today (I'll blog about it later once I calm down) was ugly, with me walking out on said "doctor".

    Maybe it comes down to this: if you don't like me being honest in my views of Canada, stop reading. I'm forming my views based on my experiences in Kelowna - and so far, that's all I have to base my opinions on. Kelowna is not acting like a goodwill ambassador for Canada, I can tell you that. I can only report on what I see and what happens to me. And what I see and experience here in Kelowna makes me want to return to the US asap. Don't like it? That's your opinion and you are welcome to it - just as I am to mine. I never claimed to be a pro-Canada tourism blog. I never claimed that this was a how-to or informative blog. It is a PERSONAL blog, about MY experiences, MY perceptions, and MY opinions based on living in Kelowna. This wasn't meant to be a serious guide to being an expat. It was meant as nothing more than a forum for which to share with friends and family. I welcome anyone who wishes to read this blog, but at the same time, don't hijack it with attacks or confrontation. I'm not saying you, specifically, Grant, have done so - I mean this in a more general sense. I never claimed to be an authority - I'm only offering first-person anecdotes. Perception is truth, and what I see is my truth, and the truth I see is an over-priced, over-taxed country with an exaggerated health care system that has been less than welcoming. You don't like that assessment? Then move along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you hated the US and now you hate Canada also. Will you ever be happy with anything? I just find it so strange that you moved to a city in a new country and didn't do any research at all whatsoever about that place before moving there. I get that your wife got a great job offer, but why no pre-prepartions?? No research on the cost of living, goods available, costs of licenses, insurance, etc.?? And you claim to have a serious illness and didn't do any research on the doctors available there or if you would be able to get your meds?? That is simply crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One, I did not hate the US.

    Two, we DID do a LOT of research before moving. But the notion that you can glean everything from the internet and books about an actual location and life there is ridiculous. We came with the best of intentions and excitement in our hearts.

    Three, do you even GET that the issues of health care here impact me in a serious way? As for researching it before hand, I, again, was EXCITED at the prospect of getting into this country's system. Every system has it's promoters and detractors, but I had learned enough about the system to have confidence that I could find qualified doctors. But given the inability to pre-plan who to see without having a primary care doc here, it was impossible to pre-arrange my care.

    Four, if you don't like what I have to say, stop reading my blog. I'm not here to provide a schematic for life in Canada - it's an online personal accounting of my time here. If you want to take it as a blueprint for definitive presuppositions about Canadian life, then you are giving this blog greater importance and heft than it certainly deserves or strives for. I'm tired of spending my time defending myself and my OPINIONS - you get that, right? Opinions? Opinions being personal views that do not lay claim to being considered as FACT - to anonymous posters who seem to be agitated by what I say, but can't seem to tear themselves away. You are being about as constructive with your personal attacks on my blog and me as you you claim my posts are not. Your vitriol does nothing but add to my PERCEPTION that Canadians are not as polite and welcoming as the cliche. I do not fear your comments, but rather, I am tired of having to constantly justify my own REAL experiences. Yes, other parts of Canada might be just wonderful - and if you PAY ANY ATTENTION - I have admitted that, and admitted that it might just be the town I live in. But you generalize just as much as you accuse me of generalizing. But let me say this - don't you DARE question my experiences with serious illness, it's impact on my life, or my commitment to finding the best care possible. You will NEVER know what it is like to have my condition. So until you lose your ability to work, go to school, take a warm shower, or end up in the ER with a migraine every 3 weeks for a year straight, you have NO place commenting on that. NO place. So step the fuck off.

    Five, you have put me in a position of closing this blog to comments from non-subscribers, which is unfortunate b/c I have gotten some kind, supportive words from some readers. But trolls like you - yes, troll - have made me reconsider being so open. Again, you don't like what I have to say, stop reading. But don't continue to waste my time with your hypocritical rants about a lack of open-mindedness b/c you don't seem amenable to the idea that Canada just might suck.

    ReplyDelete